Monday, November 24, 2008

The headache fog

That's where I am today. You fellow headache sufferers understand what I'm talking about. In this fog, I do things that require the least amount of movement humanly possible, as movement will hurt my brain. I forget what I'm doing or what I was thinking two seconds ago. (Not that this doesn't happen normally, but headaches seem to exacerbate the problem!) Lound noises hurt, light hurts, children hurt. It's a lovely place to be.

The fun about being a mother is that life, i.e. children and their needs/messes, continue despite the fog. Unlike Dad who can sleep uninterrupted for two days, Mom continues to feed, clothe, clean, and take care of life. Though I have discovered that the house can fall mostly to pieces and be put back together again.

Another item of fun is that depending on the state of motherhood you are currently in, you may or may not be able to take anything that might actually help. I'm sorry, but tylenol is merely a placebo to me. I don't post this for sympathy, merely to document a fact of life. I suffer from headaches and occasional migraines. It's just how it is.

And so I sit, in my incoherent fog, sipping a Pepsi, contemplating the many things I should do, but knowing I'll just go watch Dr. Phil. I'll probably look back at this post tomorrow and think maybe I shouldn't post things when I'm in my headache fog. Oh well. Such is life.

2 comments:

Jana said...

Urrg, so sorry! Did we not have this talk a church. Moms are just built tougher then men. We just carry on even when we really don't want to. Sorry you had to deal with such a nasty headache. Keep drinkin the good stuff.

Lori said...

I feel your pain. I believe I have felt exactly the same way, minus the migraine because I don't get them. I'm sorry. I know it is so hard. Hang in there and if you need help, don't forget your sister lives a mere 15 minutes away and doesn't mind the drive. :)