Monday, December 24, 2007

Does Santa exist?

That's the big question this year. All three of my oldest kids have asked this year if Santa is real. As a parent, you don't want them to quit believing, but it puts you in a bit of a moral dilemma. Do you lie to them to keep the fun of Santa going for as long as possible, or do you tell them the truth and perhaps take some of the magic away from Christmas?

We have chosen to ask them what they think. To which all but my oldest responded yes! In fact, my five year old informed me that he was going to get his own Nintendo DS because he asked Santa for it! Ah, such faith! I wish, sometimes, that I still believed! But Christmas maintains it's magic because the children make it that way. I hate the hustle and bustle of the season, but it's all worth it to see their great joy and delight on Christmas morning. Although, this year we are missing the days when we could do all of our Christmas shopping at the dollar store!!

And so, for at least one more year, Santa still exists at our house. We will still leave him cookies and milk and make sure the reindeer have food. I'm hoping he will exist for a few more years and that my older kids don't ruin it for the younger ones! Merry Christmas everyone!!

No comments: