Friday, December 28, 2007

I caaaaaan't!!!!

This is my least favorite thing to hear, but unfortunately, I hear it often. Whether it's on the potty, putting on shoes or buckling a seat belt, I caaaaaaaan't seems to be the only thing to say. Katherine turns three next month, and I swear from the time she could talk, I caaaaaan't has been her favorite thing to say. Notice it's not just, I can't, it's I caaaaaaan't!! But then, if offered help, it's "No!!! I do it!!!". Followed by more I caaaaaan'ts and crying. I keep hoping she'll grow out of it, but I'm starting to worry. What if she goes to college, and every time she has to go to the bathroom her roommate hears her yelling, at the top of her lungs, I caaaaaan't! Her poor roommate. Or, picture this, she gets into a car with a boyfriend and starts yelling I caaaaan't while trying to do up her seat belt! The poor girl is never going to get married!

Ok, so I know that's a little extreme, but there are days when I swear the only words out of the girl's mouth consist of I caaaaaan't and No! I know deep in my heart that she won't go to kindergarten in diapers and she will eventually learn to quit the I caaaaan't mantra. But in the meantime, I have visions of a grown woman crying every time she puts her shoes on!

No comments: