Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The multi-child discount

After putting it off as long as legally possible, I finally made it to the court to take care of my lovely ticket. I have survived the ordeal of renewing my expired license. Odessa screamed most of the time we were at the DMV. They didn't make me retake the test, I think out of fear of their own sanity since my children were being so cooperative that day. In order to do traffic school so that the ticket doesn't go on my record, I had to go in person to see the judge. So I planned it at a time that I had the least amount of children, which sadly, is still two. But it's better than all five! We finally get into the court room and I go to sit down. Odessa immediately screams, so I stand back up and tell Katherine to sit down. Her idea of sitting consisted of climbing across a row of chairs multiple times. I stayed in the back, but Katherine noticed the thermostat on the wall behind the chairs. She eyed it the entire time, and I'd like to say she never touched it, but if it gets really cold in the courtroom later today, it's probably her fault! So after about fifteen minutes of quiet bribes, letting Odessa chew on my keys and anything else I could think of to keep them quiet, the judge finally called me up. I pled guilty and the judge took pity on me and gave me the "multi-child discount" which amounted to about $50 off my ticket. I have to do traffic school, but it's online. Yay for small things! I paid my fine and breathed a sigh of relief as we left. But let me tell you, I was sweating like I'd been running a mile! Keeping kids quiet for any period of time is quite the task! But we've survived and I've learned my lesson! And if somebody in front of you is going ridiculously slow, it's probably because they've recently been reprimanded by the law!

No comments: