Thursday, January 31, 2008

I don't wanna go to work today!

This is what my husband said to me on the way out the door this morning. I heaved a big sigh and said, "I don't either." We smiled at each other, knowing neither of us really had a choice. And off we went. I to my day of never-ending chores and childcare, and he to the busy work world. There are often days when I wish we could trade for a day. I could go out into the world and contribute to society. I could have adult conversations. I could go out to lunch and actually enjoy my food and go to a restaurant that doesn't have a playplace. Being a stay-at-home mom is no easy task. I don't think it's physically any more difficult than other jobs, but it's emotionally more difficult. And it's not a 9-5 gig. It's 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The thing that makes it worthwhile is the long-term rewards. The joy of seeing my children grow up can't be replaced by any job out in the world. And although there are days when I yearn to contribute to society in a more obvious way, I know that by staying home and raising my children, I am contributing. I am contributing to who they are and who they become. And I pray every day that I do this in a good way. I have nothing but respect for those women who do work and have to work. I know that many of them would trade places with me in a heartbeat. I know I am fortunate to be home with my children, but I think no matter your situation, there's always days you wish it was different. And so today...I don't wanna go to work!!

1 comment:

Russ said...

This was great! I can't tell you how many times I've had this conversation with your mom. I guess the grass always looks greener somewhere else.