Monday, January 7, 2008

Mundane

What makes one day different from the next? When you are a stay at home mom, sometimes the days all blend together. Each day is filled with chores, diapers, homework, never ending dishes and laundry, the same Dora episodes you've seen a million times, the same fights over the same toys, the same needs and wants. So what makes a day different? What makes it worth the mundane?

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I love to be at home with my children, but I would be lying if I said I didn't sometimes wish for a little more excitement once in a while. My days are often filled with things I don't necessarily like doing. (My children often whine, "but I don't waaaant to!" To which I reply, "neither do I.") But I do it anyway. And most of the time I don't even mind.

So what makes a day different when it's so much the same, is the little things. It's things like having my almost three year old come to my room, where I had sent myself for a timeout, and announce that she wants to go to Disneyland for her birthday. Then when I laugh she stomps and says, "It not funny mom!" It's watching the baby rocking on her knees and actually making it to her toys. It's watching the lightbulb go on in my eight year old as he understands a concept. Those are the things that make the mundane worth it. Those are the reasons I am home everyday with my children. Those are the reasons that I love my job. All jobs are boring and mundane if you look at the day to day tasks. But it's the small moments that make it worthwhile. So my message today to any stay at home mom that might be wondering if there's something more exciting to do today is this: Yup! There probably is something more exciting to do, but nothing that is more important. Love your children and look for the small moment that made today different from all the rest!

1 comment:

Susan said...

I continue to be thrilled by your obvious talent at sharing real life with those of us who have lived the very same things but could never express it. You are amazingly talented!! Love, Mom