Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Conversation with a Two-Year Old

A conversation with O in the car.

O: Mom, park!

Me: No, O, we aren't going to the park. It's dark out. You can't go when it's dark.

O: Moooom, PARK!

Me: No, O. It's dark.

Quiet. A moment later.

O: Mooom, Moooooom!!! PARK!! DARK!!

Me: No park O. Yes, it's dark.

O: (to herself) Park, dark.

I turn up the music in the van and pray. This could go on all night. O is not easily distracted.

A couple of minutes later.

O: Park!!

Me: O, we'll go tomorrow, ok? All done. No more. No park!!!

O: Morrow. Park. Dark.

Me:(Thinking grrrrrr!) Yes O. We can go to the park tomorrow.

There's a saying that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different outcome. We have this same conversation all the time, just take out 'park' and insert 'candy' or 'outside' or any number of other things. And somehow both of us expects a different outcome. I expect that she'll give it up sooner, and she expects to get her way. I suppose we are both a little insane.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think my two-year-old (Ellie) and Odessa must have been separated at birth! Yesterday she asked me if we could go to the park (jardin des enfants which sadly doesn't rhyme with dark). I told her it was dark. That record got stuck for quite some time.