Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Dead cats and bike riding

What an adventurous day! And no, our cats didn't die. But we had a conversation about how old our Don Juan is and how long he will likely live. He's approximately 7 years old and I think cats live around 15 years. At least, that's what I told the kids! We adopted him from the shelter a few years ago and he is the most patient cat I have ever met! So when I went to tuck Andrew in tonight, he informed me that he was sad because Don Juan is going to die. Poor kid! I told him that wouldn't happen for years to come and that seemed to placate him a bit.

And Mr. Michael learned how to ride his bike minus the training wheels. He learned really fast! He forgets to use the breaks and likes to kamakaze off the bike, but he's doing pretty well for one day. He can't get started either, but that will come.

I think I was ten before I learned to ride without training wheels. Ok, not quite, but I was old. My dad threatened to sell my bike if I didn't learn to ride it. I remember riding around our cul-de-sac and being deathly afraid of falling and hurting myself. But then after I figured it out I wondered why it took me so long to learn. (For those of you who are 'Friends' fanatics, reference the episode where Ross gives Phoebe a bike. So funny!) Yup, I'm sure I was pretty spastic! Luckily my children seem to have inherited their father's coordination skills for the most part! I'm sure Michael will be buzzing the neighborhood soon enough!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I just imagine Michael bailing. Helmet? Pads? Hopefully! :)

Susan said...

You were in third grade. I don't know that you were spastic--probably just reading!

Stacey said...

I knew I was old!! How funny!

Kirsten said...

Way to go to your little man! How exciting to be on a 2 wheeler!