Thursday, March 27, 2008

Waxing nostalgic

I love to watch you see things for the first time. I love the look on your face, the excitement, the wonder. I don't take you places for your benefit, and I don't take you because you will rembmer it. I take you because I will remember. I will remember the look on your face the first time we went to Disneyland. How you looked at all the sights, and sounds, mesmerized by the scenery. I will remember the first time we went to your favorite restaurant, or the farm, or the cruise. I remember how you looked, how happy you were. I know that some of these memories will only be mine because you were too little to have a memory yet. But these are the memories that I will hold dear until I die. And when you are grown, you will experience things for the first time, again, through the eyes of your children. Part of me can't wait for that day. For the day when you realize that all this crazy hard work is worth a moment of pure joy in your children. Those moments are why I take you places you'll never remember. It's why I mop the floor and do the laundry. Those precious moments when you discover something I've known for a long time and want to share it with me, those are the moments I live for. Those are the moments I treasure.

1 comment:

Susan said...

This is so beautiful. I remember thaking you girls to Hawaii the first time and having to threaten Lori to get her to leave. Seeing the world through you children's eyes has to be the most important reason for having them.